“Vital
lives are about action. You can't feel warmth unless you create it, can't feel
delight until you play,can't know serendipity unless you risk.”
Joan Erickson
Joan Erickson
"Serendipity.
Look for something, find something else, and realize that what you've found is
more suited to your needs than what you thought you were looking for."
Lawrence Block
Lawrence Block
Serendipity;
such a lyrical word for a happy accident. For some reason the word itself
always makes me smile.
Maybe
that’s because those times in my life when I either haven’t been looking, or
have been searching for something entirely different, something beautiful,
perfect and – excuse the grammar – downright ‘smile making’ appears right in
front of me instead.
A classic
example; I went out with some friends many years ago – 23 to be exact (funny
how I can’t remember what I did on any specific day last week, but the life
changing moments are etched in granite in my memory). Anyway, as I was saying,
I went out (or rather, was dragged out) to a sporting presentation night. My
girlfriend decided I needed to get out after months of both medical and self
imposed isolation. I had spinal surgery. I had a broken heart. Recovering from
the former was a piece of cake compared to the latter. I’d sworn off men forever
and had resigned myself to a rather solitary life. Just me, my dog, my garden and
some writing here and there; that was enough for anyone I thought. Fill in any
nasty gaps of inaction and solitude where the mind might start to replay
unwanted repeats of that tired old movie that was my disastrous relationship
with...what? Something, anything; rearrange the furniture, repaint the
furniture, buy new furniture.
The
thought of going out left me cold; the thought of going to a soccer club social
left me even colder. It really was the last thing I felt like, but I figured
free booze and food and the company of close friends who would know better than
to ask me how I was every five minutes may fritter away another Saturday night.
Saturday nights were the worst somehow. Not that we used to go out and now I was
staying in; we always stayed in. That was the problem. Here I was, rattling
around the house with too many opportunities to see and feel what I no longer
had. There’s a great line from Missy Higgins ‘The Wrong Girl’ that pretty much
sums things up as they were back then.
Now the
house is quiet as a hollow head
And I'm walking round bumping into things you said
And I'm walking round bumping into things you said
Ouch. How true.
So I went, on the hunt for nothing
more than some time wasting entertainment, and enough free drinks to get the
balance right between easy sleep the minute my head hit the pillow and painful
booze induced fogginess on Sunday.
Instead I met my life partner and soul
mate. The attraction was instantaneous and not one glass of cheap fizz had
passed my lips at that point to colour my judgement. We have been together ever
since.
And I came so close to not going.
Serendipity!
Speaking of Missy Higgins, even one of
my best (possibly strangest) and closest friendships was not what I was looking
for when I jumped on a fan forum a few years ago. I only call it strange
because at this point we still haven’t met in person. We will – and possibly
very soon – but we have shared so much that would never have happened and certainly
was not my intention when I first logged on. I discovered a kindred spirit and
a beautifully inquiring and probing mind that helped me light the path I'm currently on. Without her encouragement and her frank questions I would never
have found the courage to go in search of my birth mother, nor would I have
found myself sitting here writing a blog. Thanks Kat (I think!).
Again, serendipity!
Some of the best meals I've eaten have come
about by needing to improvise because, once again, I didn't have the
ingredients I thought I did and living out of town means a trip to the 24 hour
supermarket is an hour round trip.
Self sown seedlings in the garden are
often the strongest and give us unexpected delight.
Roadworks and a subsequent detour can
take us past fabulous scenery; enable us to find a new place to eat or even
give us a better way to our destination.
When the bottle shop runs out of your
favourite tipple you may discover one you like better.
When financial trouble forces you to
change your job, or your home or where you send the kids to school, it’s been
my experience that, whilst going through the change can be tortuous, it will
nearly always bring you to a better place, to new friends, to a more authentic
and contented life – if you let it.
That seems to be the key. Make plans,
have goals, dream a little or a lot, but be ready to adapt, to be flexible and
to be prepared to drift downstream sometimes. Somehow, those rivers always seem
to find a way around an obstacle and still reach their destination don’t they?
Maybe we humans could learn from that.
Happy accidents occur almost daily if
we let them; if we open our minds and our hearts to the possibilities and just
have a go at life.
Ok. Your early Sunday sermon is over.
I’m packing up my soapbox and off to feed the Gang of Four...at least that’s
the plan! J
No comments:
Post a Comment
As a writer I appreciate feedback...otherwise it's a bit like singing in the shower isn't it? Thank you for taking the time to read what I have to say. It's a two way street; I am always interested in what you have to say.